Monday, April 13, 2015

Visiting Norway on the Gluten-free Diet

As you all know from my last blog post, I went to Norway two weeks ago!  Fortunately, as a lot of foods in the Nordic diet happen to be naturally gluten-free, I didn't have much trouble looking for delicious foods to eat. Most local bakeries have gluten-free pastries and bread, so that's a real treat! One of my favorite store-bought items would have to be the Waza Crisp Bread (knekkebrød), so if you ever visit Norway, be sure to stock up on this "bread alternative."
 

The hotel I stayed at had both gluten-free crisp bread and regular bread, and I used toaster bags to make sure that there wasn't any cross contamination issues when using the toaster!

I mean, look at this leaning tower of hamburger!

Almost everyone in Norway speaks English, which means you'll have no trouble talking to the chefs and servers about the gluten-free diet. The waiter walked me through the buffet offerings, pointing out what was gluten-free and what wasn't which  was really nice :).

How cool is this wine glass candle thing :)! 

If you ever find yourself in Norway on the gluten-free diet, don't fret, because you'll be just fine!
-Sema