Monday, June 22, 2015

An Update on Living Gluten-free in Norway

Good afternoon from Norway! There has been gorgeous weather in Kristiansand in contrast to the ongoing rain in St. Louis. I was taking the bus home (I'm getting pretty good at public transportation) and I looked out the window and saw this gorgeous view:
 
#nofilter :)
I have been talking to chefs and exploring stores and restaurants, and I haven't had a hard time trying to find food to eat! The gluten-free sections in the grocery stores consist of the European brands like Schar, and they are all clearly marked gluten-free.
 Whenever I speak to chefs, they always know what the gluten-free options are-even when there is no gluten-free menu. I haven't come across many gluten-free menus, but the servers usually point out what can be made gluten-free on the regular menu. Recently, I went to Clarion Hotel Ernst in Kristiansant for dessert, and found out that the chocolate nemesis cake was gluten-free (I had to tell them I was gluten-free, because normally they sprinkle cake crumbs on top). Almost everyone at my table ordered it, and they all loved it. I'm not going to lie-when I saw the cake, my jaw dropped, because the piece was so small. I was expecting this huge slice of chocolate cake, since it was priced at 125 kr (about 16 dollars). In the end, I was glad it was smaller, because I wouldn't have been able to finish it-it was so rich in taste! The best part was that I ate the same thing as everyone else! :)

Stay tuned for more updates!
-Sema