Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gluten-free Cheerios!

Picture Credit: glutenfreehomemaker.com
I used to eat Cheerios all the time as a child, as it was a great snack and cereal! Of course, when I was diagnosed with Celiac at the age of 6, we didn't want to focus on what I couldn't eat-so we focused on what I could eat (there is plenty out there)! Oats are in fact gluten-free, but often come in contact with wheat during the production phase , which is why you have to buy certified gluten-free oats. I am very excited that the manufacturer of Cheerios finally has decided to make Cheerios certified gluten-free through a procedure that ensures the separation of oats from other grains during the production phase. However, make sure you check with your physician if you can tolerate gf oats, as not everyone with Celiac can!

-Sema