Saturday, March 14, 2015
Gluten-free Norwegian Almond Cake (Suksesskake)
5 egg yolks
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup softened butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Place a saucepan over low heat, and add the egg yolks and sugar, whisking them together.
2. Stir in the heavy cream until the mixture becomes really thick. (Bring the mixture to a near boil.)
3. Remove it from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature. I used an electric mixer to get rid of any lumps.
4. After it reaches room temperature, mix in the softened butter until you get rid of the lumps.
5. Set it in the fridge so it can get cold.
5 egg whites
1 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and grease your baking pan (I used a round 9 inch form).
2. In a bowl, mix together the egg whites with an electric mixer until they become firm.
3. In a different bowl, mix together the almond meal, confectioners sugar, and the baking powder.
4. Fold the egg whites into the mixture.
5. Pour your batter into your baking pan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes! Your cake should spring back when you put your finger on it-it will also get a nice golden color.
7. Let it cool down (and sit down and enjoy the scent of an almond cake). Once cool down , add the frosting!
Look how beautiful it is :').
Add some slivered almonds for garnish, and voila, you have traditional (and tasty) Norwegian almond cake. The best part of the recipe is that it is entirely gluten free!