I think this is a good time to bring up my gluten-free school lunch program. While nothing beats a home-cooked meal, it's always nice to be able to have the option to eat at school. After a late night of studying, I'm not always on top of things in the morning, so it's nice to be able to grab a bite at school instead of preparing something while I'm rushing out of the house.
You have three options for school lunch:
1. Bring from home
3. Eat lunch prepared by the school.
I bet you are looking at option three and raising an eyebrow in confusion. Federal law requires public school to substitute meals for students with life-threatening food allergies and celiac disease.
Many of the meal options at your school might already be naturally gluten-free. Sometimes all that's needed to be done is use GF breads and exchange the cookie with a fruit cocktail. Food handling procedures, however, will have to be in place in order to ensure there are no cross-contamination issues.
Some examples of possible gluten-free lunches offerings can be:
1. Beefy GF Tacos, Mexican Rice, Buttered Corn and Fruit Cocktail + choice of milk
2. Stuffed baked Potato, Mexican Salad, Carrot & Celery Sticks and Pudding + choice of milk.
3. Hamburger with GF bun/without , Potato Smiles, Corn and Chilled Pineapple choice of milk
4. Hamburger, Mashed Potatoes, Peas and Applesauce/Apple/Orange + choice of milk
5. GF pizza, Garden Salad w/light ranch, orange wedges, chocolate pudding + choice of milk.
6. GF pasta, salad, corn, pears + choice of milk.
7. GF blueberry muffins, corn, warm sliced apples choice of + choice of milk.
6. Salad, Mexican Rice, Carrot and Celery, Fruit Cocktail + choice of milk.
You can enjoy all these meals at school thanks to food labels and food handling procedures! So stop starving; this might be the right option for you!
NFCA provides great information on how to request a gluten free school lunch in your school district. check out the information:
Training and education of foods service personal is extremely important!
Here is a link to a great training option that your school district might want to consider pursuing:
So, what are you waiting for? There are so many options out there for you!!