Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The Importance of Contacting the Caterer

With the year coming to an end, it's crazy to think how much has changed this year. I just got done with my first round of finals in college, and while it was a stressful period, I feel like I've picked up on some good study habits that I'll definitely utilize next time around.
This year I finished high school and started college which is quite a transition in addition to gaining an internship over the summer. I met so many wonderful people throughout my endeavors and created a strong support system in college. While I did catch the worst cold I've gotten in a while and partially tore my achilles jumping for joy (yes, you heard that right, I literally jumped when happy), I'd say that I've had a wonderful semester and am looking forward to the next one!
Towards the end of the semester, the business fraternity I am in held a banquet. I didn't think there would be a problem with the food, but when I was informed that nothing would be gluten-free I immediately took action, contacting the caterer. To my relief, Chef Mike from Mateker's Meat and Catering immediately responded, letting me know which options were gluten-free. The menu was as follows:
-Vegetable medley (naturally gluten-free)
-Salad (they prepared a separate one for me without croutons)
-Pasta and rolls (obviously not gluten-free)
-Tri-tip and Au Jus (naturally gluten-free)

I could eat almost everything, which was a wonderful feeling!
Taking that extra step to contact the caterer, while it might be intimidating to do so, will ensure that you won't go hungry at an event. Nothing is worse than watching other people eat and you don't want to bring a lunchbox because it won't go with your outfit! I had a wonderful evening dancing the night away and taking fun photobooth pictures with my dear friends knowing that I wouldn't get sick!

All in all, I want to thank everyone for such a wonderful year, cheers to another year of blogging!
-Sema