Saturday, July 27, 2013

What to Eat When You Get Your Wisdom Teeth Out- Day 1

The oral surgeon said to eat cold soft items, so the day before I got my wisdom teeth out, my mom and I went to the grocery store. We bought ice cream, sherbet, apple sauce and different kinds of yogurt. When I came home from getting my wisdom teeth out, my cheeks were swollen and my tongue was numb, so I was unable to eat anything for about 2 hours. After I regained senses in my lips and tongue, I feasted on yoghurt and ice cream. I'm not much of a sweet tooth, so by dinnertime I was sick of those items. My mom looked around the pantry for something I could eat. She came up with this ready made gluten-free cheddar potato soup from Bear Creek, which tasted spectacular. The instructions are as follows:












1. Bring 8 cups of water to a rolling boil.












2. Whisk in soup mix.









3. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.






4. Salt and pepper to taste.

My mom decided to strain the soup after cooking it to ensure that it wouldn't be hard for me to eat. Then she chilled it, added some mint and a candle to the serving plate and voila – we had a party tray! 



Here is a link to some great cold soup recipes that was posted in the New York Times Magazine.


Also, next time you are out at the grocery store in the soup aisle, look for ready-made gluten-free soups. It's a nice alternative if you don't have enough time to make it from scratch.

-Sema