Monday, August 31, 2015

Easy Gluten-free Spaghetti

This week is the third week of school, and you know what that means: tests! It's that time of the year when we have learned enough to take our first tests. Unfortunately it seems like I have a test in practically all my classes, so I know what I'll be up to this week! Sometimes you don't have time to make everything from scratch, so the recipe I'm going to share with you all today is for those times when you are running around and need a quick-fix dinner.
Ingredients
1 jar of gluten-free ready-made pasta sauce (I used the Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic one).
A quarter of an onion
4 mushrooms
Olive oil
1 pack of gluten-free spaghetti (I used the one from the Aldi)
Ground beef
Parsley (for garnish)

Procedure
The Sauce
1. Fill 3/4 of a pot with water, and bring it to a boil. 
2. Chop the quarter of an onion and the mushrooms.
3. In a pot, sautee the mushrooms and onions.
4. In a separate pan, brown the ground beef (you can use as much or little as you like). I actually don't use any oil; I let the ground beef cook in its own fat. (It's healthier and less work).
5. Once the ground beef is done, add it to the pot, and stir in the jar of gluten-free pasta sauce.
7. Turn down the heat and cover the pot, occasionally stirring it so it doesn't burn.

The Spaghetti
1. Fill 3/4 of a pot with water, and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the pack of gluten-free spaghetti, and stir it in once the bottom half of the spaghetti gets soft (this way the water will cover all of the spaghetti).
3. Add salt to the water and occasionally check on it to ensure it doesn't get too soft.
4. After you've drained the water, rinse the spaghetti in cold water and add olive oil. Sometimes I'll even add dried parsley leaves or dried basil!

Voila! You've got a meal that didn't take too long and looks like you went to a restaurant. Decorate the table with fancy china and no one will notice ;). Also, be sure to garnish with parsley!
Enjoy!
-Sema