Sunday, August 23, 2015

Gluten-free Chocolate Nemesis Cake

I can't believe that I've been in school for two weeks now! It feels like I was just in Norway, laying by the ocean side with a book in my hands, sipping the coffee I got from a quaint European cafe. Since the beginning of school, I have been swamped with homework and the college application process. It's so surreal that I'll be applying for college in a few months!
A wonderful Norwegian Sous Chef by the name of Thomas Hansen sent me a recipe for the delicious Chocolate Nemesis cake that just happened to be naturally gluten-free! It's a wonderful and easy "comfort food" for those busy and stressful times (I can attest to that)! The awesome thing about this recipe is that it doesn't require too many ingredients, and its chocolate-y goodness will be the perfect addition to your evening tea or study session.

Ingredients
2 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
5 eggs

Procedure
1. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius), and grease your baking pan (I used a 9 inch round pan). I also added a little sorghum flour to the pan to ensure that the mixture wouldn't stick to the edges, but you can use whatever gluten-free flour you have laying around.
2. Melt the two sticks of butter in the microwave (I did it in two forty second intervals, but it will vary depending on your microwave).
3. Melt the chocolate in a water bath and add the butter and sugar.
4. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add them to the mixture.
5. Mix it well!
6. Pour your mixture into the baking pan and set it in the oven for about an hour to an hour and a half or until it sets.
7. Here comes the hardest part-don't eat it when it comes right out of the oven. If you allow it to cool, you can cut it into nice slices. Or I guess you could eat it immediately-whatever makes you happiest! (It's so good that you might not be able to wait)! ;)

Voila! You have a deliciously easy dessert! You can garnish it with powdered sugar and berries, or just eat it out of the pan-but please don't do so in front of your guests :).

If you decide to make this dessert, be sure to post a picture of it with the hashtag #eatwithoutgluten on Instagram or Facebook, so that I can see your fabulous creation!

Enjoy!
-Sema